In the spirit of innovation and in recognition of the importance of arts and artistic expression in enhancing our environment and our daily lives, PAAFI welcomes all participating visual artists to the PHILIPPINE ART AWARDS (PAA) 2021-2022 season.
ABOUT THE COMPETITION
1. PAA Regional Competition (in the first year)At the regional level, the competition field is divided into four (4) separate Collective Regional Areas (CRA): 1) NCR, 2) Luzon 3) Visayas and 4) Mindanao and shall cover the following specific areas:
|Collective Regional Areas (CRA)||Areas of Coverage|
|LUZON||Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) / Ilocos Region / Cagayan Valley / Central Luzon / CALABARZON (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) / MIMAROPA (Occidental Mindoro, Oriental Mindoro, Marinduque, Romblon, Palawan) / Bicol Region|
|NCR||17 cities & municipalities of Metro Manila|
|VISAYAS||Western Visayas / Central Visayas / Eastern Visayas|
|MINDANAO||Zamboanga / Northern Mindanao / Davao Region / SOCCSKARGEN (South Cotabato, Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat, Saranggani, General Santos City) / Caraga (Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur) / Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (ARMM)|
2. PAA National Finals (in the second year)From the collective total of forty (20) regional winners as adjudged in the four (4) CRA level competitions from the previous year, a pool of five (5) national winners consisting of one (1) Grand Prize, Two (2) Juror’s Choice of Excellence and Two (2) Juror’s Choice of Merit awardees
OBJECTIVE OF THE COMPETITION
The PAA is a visual arts competition, which aims:
1.) To support the development of Philippine contemporary art and to increase national and regional exposure for Philippine art and artists;
2.) To encourage, inspire, and reward creative works by contemporary Philippine artists, with an intent of nurturing their talent;
3.) To provide a platform for Philippine artists to be recognized and their works exhibited nationally and allow ample cross-cultural exposure.
COMPETITION RULES & REGULATIONS
1. All participants to the PAA 2021 – 2022 competition MUST USE the 2021 Entry Form in submitting their entries.
2. All other and previous application/entry forms, rules, and regulations issued prior to January 2021 are hereby cancelled and declared null and void.
3. Please read all the mechanics, rules, and regulations carefully. Non - compliant entries on any of the stipulated rules and regulations will be disqualified.
4. The PAA is a nationwide visual arts completion which is divided into two phases:
PHASE 1 - (2021) Regional selection of winners from short-listed entries, and
PHASE 2 - (2022) National selection of winners from the Regional Winners.
Please note: There will be no submission of entries for the 2022 PAA National Competition as only the regional winners of 2021 shall compete at the national level.
5. PHASE I is divided into FOUR (4) separate COLLECTIVE REGIONAL AREAS (CRA)
a) Metro Manila : 17 cities & municipalities of Metro Manila
b) Luzon : CAR / Ilocos Region / Cagayan Valley / Central Luzon / CALABARZON / MIMAROPA / Bicol Region
c) Visayas : Western / Central / Eastern Visayas
d) Mindanao : Zamboanga / Northern Mindanao / Davao Region / SOCCSKARGEN / CARAGA / ARMM
IMPORTANT:: An Artist may submit ONLY ONE Entry to ONLY ONE Collective Regional Area (CRA). Artists found to have submitted multiple entries to one or more CRAs will be disqualified.
a) The competition is open to all Filipino citizens who are 18 years old and above as of January 1, 2021. As proof of age and citizenship, all entrants must submit any valid government- issued document or identification card (ID) showing birth date and citizenship e.g. photocopy of the artist’s birth certificate, passport, driver’s license, etc. when submitting their entries.
b) An artist can join only one Collective Regional Area (CRA) competition and must submit proof of residence in the said CRA e.g. Residence Certificate or cedula, Birth Certificate, Passport, Barangay Certificate, Driver’s License, or any other valid gov’t-issued document or ID showing residence.
c) Professional and non-professional artists are eligible to join the competition.
d) Participation in the competition is FREE.
e) Employees of PMFTC, Inc., Asian Tigers Lane Moving and Storage, the Yuchengco Museum, their affiliates, distributors, advertising and promotions agencies, companies involved in the production of program materials and the implementation of the competition, their agents, as well as their respective relatives up to the second degree of consanguinity and affinity are not eligible to participate in the competition.
7. ACCEPTABLE ENTRIES
a) Multi-dimensional artworks
b) Any artistic visual art medium is acceptable, except stand - alone film and/or motion picture.
c) There is no theme requirement. Any subject or theme may be explored by the artist.
d) Each artist may submit ONLY ONE Entry to ONLY ONE Collective Regional Area (CRA).
e) Only ORIGINAL and RECENT works will be accepted (not more than two years from date of submission).
f) Previously exhibited works are allowed, except for those which have been previously entered in any national, regional, or international competition, including past PAA competitions.
g) Size and weight are not criteria for selection. However, due to shipping and exhibition constraints, works must NOT EXCEED the following measurements:
OPTION 1: Not exceeding 2m (200 cm) by 2m (200 cm) in height and width and depth not exceeding 12.5 cm and NOT MORE than 30 kilos inclusive of frame.
OPTION 2: Not exceeding .6m (60cm) x .6m (60cm) x .6meters (60cm) and NOT MORE THAN 30 kg inclusive of pedestal.
h) Works must be sturdy enough to withstand the rigors of multiple travel and handling.
i) The works must be ready for exhibition, and do not require assembly.
8. NON-ACCEPTABLE WORKS
a) Works using dangerous, illegal/prohibitive, hazardous materials and the like;
b) Works using endangered botanical, zoological and marine specimens;
c) Works using precious metals and stones;
d) Stand-alone film;
e) Fragile or brittle;
f) Unfinished works including wet works;
g) Works with incomplete documentation;
h) Altered works to conform with size limitations;
i) Works that have any alterations, revisions, additions, subtractions after photograph was taken and submitted or any discrepancy between the actual artwork and the photograph submitted;
j) The Organizer reserves the right at its sole and absolute discretion, not to accept and/or disqualify any entry not meeting certain artistic and competition requirements or violating competition rules and regulations.
9. For Phase 1 of the competition, the PAA Panel of Judges shall select five (5) Regional Winners from each CRA or a total of twenty (20) Regional Winners.
10. For Phase 2 of the competition, the PAA Panel of Judges select from the 20 Regional Winners One (1) Grand Prize, Two (2) Juror’s Choice of Excellence and Two (2) Juror’s Choice of Merit awardees to be declared as the 2022 PAA National Winners.
11. Any participant or entry found to have violated the competition rules and regulations shall be disqualified from the competition.
12. The Organizer reserves the right not to award any of the stipulated prizes should entries fail to meet competition rules and standards.
13. Organizer further reserves the right to withdraw any or all of the stipulated prizes should artists or entries are found to have not met competition rules and standards.
14. All winning works remain property of the entrants. However, all winners shall permit the Organizer to reproduce their works in full or in part in the press, television, including internet websites and pages, and/or publicity materials (i.e. catalog, brochures, cards, etc. before,during and/or after competition season).
SUBMISSION OF ARTWORK INSTRUCTIONS
FOR PHASE I (Regional Selection – Composed of 2 Parts)
Part 1. ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION OF ARTWORKS
Entries may be submitted to the PAA email address assigned for specific Collective Regional Area (CRA):
1. LUZON - email@example.com
2. METRO MANILA - firstname.lastname@example.org
3. VISAYAS - email@example.com
4. MINDANAO - firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT: An Artist may submit ONLY ONE Entry to ONLY ONE Collective Regional Area (CRA). Artists found to have submitted multiple entries to one or more CRAs will be disqualified.
To be submitted via email are the following:
1. Completed ENTRY FORM comprising of the following:
a.) ENTRY FORM DATA SHEET (with photo of artist and completely filled up)
b.) Proof of age and citizenship of artist (photocopy of any valid government-issued document showing age and citizenship e.g. passport, certificate of birth, etc.)
c.) Proof of Residence (photocopy of any valid government-issued document showing residence e.g. Residence Certificate (cedula), passport, certificate of birth, etc.)
d.) Artist’s Statement
e.) AFFIDAVIT (MUST BE NOTARIZED)
2. Photograph of artwork
IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS ON THE ELECTRONIC/DIGITAL SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
1. Please ensure that you are sending to the correct email address for the correct Collective Regional Area (CRA) that you are joining. Please refer to the email addresses above.
2. Please ensure that the ENTRY FORM DATA SHEET is properly filled-up and all the required supporting documents are valid and complete. Incomplete entry documents will result in the non-acceptance of the entry.
3. Please indicate the name of the artist in the subject line of the email. Our servers can accommodate a maximum of 20 megabytes file size in accordance with most free email systems. In case file sizes are larger than 20 megabytes, entry documents may be sent in batches but must be carefully identified as parts of their total number e.g. Part 1 of 5, Part 2 of 5 and so on in the email body.
4. Entry documents must be physically attached to the email. Please DO NOT use file sharing links e.g. Google Drive, iCloud etc. The PAA will not be responsible in downloading files from these file sharing links.
5. File types like pdf, jpg, png or doc are acceptable. Please DO NOT use proprietary software file types that will require proprietary software applications. The PAA shall not be responsible for the failure in opening and viewing of entry documents due to the lack of proprietary software.
6. Please ensure that the electronic files are VIRUS-free. The PAA shall not be responsible for the rejection/quarantine of email submissions due to computer virus infections.
7. The time stamp of our email servers shall be the basis whether the submissions made it to the deadline or not. Entrants are advised to submit at the earliest possible time or at least 2 hours before the deadline.
8. Electronic submission is NOT the official acceptance into the competition. Entrants will be notified thru the same email address used in sending their electronic entry.
IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS ON PHOTOGRAPH OF ARTWORK:
1. When taking the photograph of artwork, put a tape measure/ruler beside the artwork in a vertical orientation. To further indicate the orientation of the artwork, a person must stand beside the artwork when taking the photograph.
2. Photograph taken must be of the final artwork. Do not physically alter or revise artwork after it has been submitted electronically. Alterations, additions or modifications will disqualify an entry.
3. Do not digitally alter the photograph using Photoshop or any other image editing software. Any alteration automatically disqualifies the entry.
DEADLINE FOR THE ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION OF ARTWORKS – 18 JULY 2022, 5:00PM only
Part 2. SUBMISSION OF SHORT-LISTED WORKS
1. Artists of shortlisted entries shall be notified via email or through the designated collection centers covering their area.
2. Shortlisted artists must submit actual artwork to the Collection Center for actual verification of sizes, review of entry documents, compliance of rules & regulations, and for actual forwarding of works to Manila by designated forwarders.
FOR PHASE II (National Selection)
1. There will be NO new submission of entries for the national level competition
2. Only the twenty (20) Regional Winners are eligible to compete for the national competition.
3. Five (5) National Winners will be selected comprised of one (1) Grand Prize Winner; two (2) Juror’s Choice of Excellence; and two (2) Juror’s Choice of Merit awardees.
SELECTION OF REGIONAL AND NATIONAL WINNERS
1) PAA shall convene a Panel of Judges to select Regional and National Winners for 2021-2022.
2) Judging Criteria shall be adopted as follows:
a) Creative Use of Medium
b) Expression & Technique
c) Originality of Artistic Perception & Mode of Interpretation
3) Three (3) rounds of selection shall be conducted by the Panel of Judges
a) Shortlisting of electronically submitted artworks
b) Selection from actual artworks of Regional Winnners
c) Selection of National Winners
4) All decisions of the Panel of Judges are FINAL.
1) REGIONAL WINNERS
a) Each of the twenty (20) regional winners from all CRAs will receive Php 40,000 cash.
b) Each regional winner shall receive a trophy.
2) NATIONAL WINNERS
a) One (1) Grand Prize winner shall receive Php 350,000.00.
b) Two (2) Juror’s Choice of Excellence shall each receive Php 120,000.00.
c) Two (2) Juror’s Choice of Merit shall each receive Php 80,000.00.
d) Each national winner will receive a trophy.
e) All-expenses paid travel prize to Art Basel Hong Kong shall be given to each national winner. Travel Prize is non-transferrable or convertible to cash.
RETRIEVAL OF ENTRIES
1) 1. All shortlisted works which do not qualify as regional winners shall be returned and must be retrieved within the prescribed period from collection center where works were submitted
2. Retrieval schedule shall be posted on PAA website and Facebook.
3. Artists must present RETRIEVAL PASS with accompanying ID’s to provincial collection center or to Asian Tigers Lane Moving to claim their entry. To authorize a representative, please provide the following:
a. Authorization Letter signed by the artist
b. Retrieval Pass
c. Photocopy of artist’s valid ID
d. Photocopy of Representative’s valid ID
4. Entries not collected on designated dates become property of the Organizer who will then dispose of them in whatever way they deem fit
AWARDING & EXHIBITION OF WINNERS
1. The twenty regional winning works shall be exhibited at the Yuchengco Museum for at least three weeks.
2. At a designated date, an Awarding Ceremony shall be held wherein the twenty Regional Winners shall be awarded together with the National Winners.
ACCEPTANCE OF RULES, REGULATIONS AND SELECTION PROCEDURES
1. Submission of entry signifies acceptance of all rules, regulations and selection process of the competition.
2. While all possible care will be taken by Organizer, the Exhibit Venue, the Art Forwarder, they shall assume no responsibility for any loss or damage to the entries before, during and/or after the competition.
Download the official Entry Form 2021-2022
Click here to download the form